Sunday, October 14

Tea Talk: How to survive a long distance relationship.

So today I'm lost on what to talk about. So I turned to my boyfriend and asked him to give me ideas, and why didn't I think of this? And these tips can probably be used for "normal" (as in - not living 500 miles apart and see each other once a year) relationships. So here goes nothing!

Being apart from a person you love is fucking hard. And at times, you feel lonely, lost, hopeless. Maybe even think "This is not worth it. It's not worth the tears and pain", but.. Why give up when you've been fighting for it for so long now?

Sean and I have a far from perfect relationship. We do seem extremely happy and lovey-dovey all the time, but.. We fight a lot sometimes. Our relationship has been on the edge of falling apart a few times now. But we deal with it, and we get over with it.

A few tips to have a good and healthy relationship (distance/non distance)
  • COMMUNICATE! You need to talk about things. Not just let them be. You feel like he hurt you by saying something? Let him know! You think she was being unfair? Let her know! Nothing gets done if you just let it fly over your head and suddenly it bothers you and you get into an even worse argument. It may hurt, but afterwards, you will both feel relieved. And why? Because you talked about it. You let it out, and get it out of your system in a grown up manner.
  • Appreciate the small things. She found a poem that reminds her of you, and he found a leaf in a shape of a heart and thought of you? Appreciate it! Even though you can't be together (for the distance couples), knowing they saw something and thought of you. Isn't that nice? He/she's in your mind all day, and sometimes you wonder "Do they think of me, too?", and getting that confirmed, that you are in their mind just as much, is just one of the nicest feelings. That you are appreciated, and they appreciate you too.
  • Spend time together - alone. This can be a phone call, skype call, or just hang out in your room alone with them. You don't need to do anything wild. If you normally go out when you're together, buy some good food and just relax at home. There's no need to have the deep talks, but if you want to, that's fine too. Just make sure you get some special you-and-me time. It makes you bond with another person more.
  • Plan ahead. If you're in a long distance relationship, plan roughly when you can see each other again. For a bit, Sean and I were unsure when we could see each other, which made me feel so poorly and insecure. I need to know when I can see him. We sadly found out we will first see each other next summer. Which broke both our hearts. But at least we're set on a time.
  • Talk daily. Sean and I talk all day every day. Or almost. Of course he has uni and I have school, and sometimes there's a family gathering or doctors appointment, but you need to talk. Talk about everything and nothing. "How was your day?", "How did you sleep?", "Ugh, this maths homework is killing me, can you help me?". Sean and I rarely run out of things to talk about. We've been friends for 3-4 years, and together for 2, and we still haven't really gone bored of each other. But talk. I know that long distance girlfriends can be a bit needy. So take the time to talk to them. Every day. Even just for a bit. 
  • Don't forget about your friends an family. I'm personally bad at this. But my closest friends live a good bit away from me and lately my mum has been working a lot. But you also have a life outside your relationship, you know? Go watch a movie with them. Go on a guys night out or a girls night out. Make dinner with your mum or help your dad out filling in a cross word! Get away, think of something else, just for a bit! Your friends and family need love and care too!

I hope this could help a bit. I'm feeling really poorly, again, so I'll crawl under my duvet and hopefully get the warmth in my body back! Have a nice Sunday, my lovelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment