Monday, September 16

Bullshit you shouldn't believe in #1



(I thought of making a little segment basically about things people say that are complete and utter bullshit. It may continue into more parts, but who knows. But this is what I want to rant about.)

I'm a great fan on Tumblr. I love the art I find on there, photography, general funny stuff. But lately, I've been seeing this bullshit.

"No one is going to love you if you don't love yourself"
"Don't expect people to love you if you don't love yourself"

"Love yourself first before you let others love you"
"You can't love others if you don't love yourself"

All of this is bullshit. YES it is good to love yourself, we should all have some kind of love and respect for ourselves and our bodies. But making people believe that because of the relationship we have with ourselves, we don't deserve love. What kind of thing is that to throw in people's faces?

I've had (and still have) a very destructive relationship to myself. It's the aftermath of years of being told everything I do isn't good enough, friends who wasn't the right friends, relationships that were very abusive and horrible. So yes, I hate myself. In every single way.

But what does that have to do with the love, let's say my mother, feels for me? I'm still her daughter. She knows I struggle, she knows I'm my own least favourite person in the world. But she still loves me. I'm not a horrible person because of that. You would NEVER doubt a mother's love for her children. Even if she, herself, has some issues with her own being.

So why make people believe they don't deserve love from others, because they don't love themselves? People struggle enough. I do agree that a person's lack of self esteem can effect a relationship/friendship badly, but it doesn't entirely mean they don't deserve love.

No person deserves more love than the other. So stop shaming people who can't love themselves.

                                             

1 comment: