Saturday, April 27

Hold me, close.





“Calm down, deep breaths”
My body is shivering, but not because it’s cold

There’s a war in my head I can’t control
Sometimes they declare peace
But then they want to fight again.
“Can you hear me? Hush hush, it’ll be fine”
The screams are getting louder and louder
Everything is black, but no one turned out the lights
Every sound gets distant, but no one made me deaf
All senses get weaker, I know I’m losing myself.
“Come on, I know you’re there, you just need to breathe”
They don’t stop, they won’t stop
Screaming, yelling, a thousand voices trapped in my head
Telling me all sorts of bad things
I can’t feel my body, it’s like I’m not there
“Please, calm down”
I can hear my own moan, feel my tense muscles
Someone’s grabbing me, I can feel you
I grab onto you, help me, help me
I can’t force the words out of my mouth, help me
“I’m here, don’t worry, I’m here”
You let go, no, no, don’t let go
DON’T LET GO, DON’T LEAVE ME
There it is again, the warmth, I can feel it
Don’t let me go, please stay
“I’m here! I’m here! Okay, I’m here, I won’t leave!
I wish they would stop screaming so I could hear you voice
Pull me out of the war zone, I beg you
Am I crying? I feel warmth streaming down my face
Are you crying too, are you as scared as me?
“It’ll be okay, I promise, it’ll be okay, I’m scared too”
I feel lips on my forehead, a hand on my cheek
My head is calming down, I hear your voice
Have you been here all the time?
I still can’t let go, I’m scared
“It’s okay, I won’t move, take your time”
You didn’t leave me, you didn’t let go
The voices were wrong
You stayed, you stayed with me
I love you, and you stayed
“Of course I stayed, I love you. Now rest, it’s been a harsh evening”
You tug my into your chest, I can hear your heart beat
You’re warm and comforting
I’m so tired, it’s like I’ve been fighting dragons and ninjas
Instead I’ve been fighting myself
“I hope you know I’ll never leave. You mean too much to me”
And then I drift into dream land, you tug me in tight
You’re my real life knight
And I’m your messed up princess
We’ll make it through together, in my twisted reality, as long as you hold me, close.

No comments:

Post a Comment